Friday 27 February 2015

Work. Art. Play.



Informal presentation to my fellow MA Multi-Disciplinary Printmaking students at UWE, Bristol.
Practitioners I am looking at and the work I am currently making.

Links, notes, ramblings below:

Notes

  1. Work. Art. Play.
    • I've noticed these 3 key areas I'm exploring in my overall work.
  2. Influence: Rosemarie Fiore / Smoke Painting #34 / 2013 
    • Based on this theme of Work Art And Play New York based artist Rosemarie Fiore
    • Smoke Drawings. Residue from Firework smoke.  
  3. Process: Smoke Paintings
    • Using a DIY rig to contain the fireworks while painting onto paper.
  4. Influence: Rosemarie Fiore /Scrambler Drawings / 2004 
    • Large Spirograph drawings
  5. Process: Scrambler Drawings
    • created using a fair ground ride called the scrambler.
  6. Recap - Rosemarie Fiore
    • Process is more interesting. I absolutely love Fiore's processes and methods for image making 
    • Are the outcomes a necessity of the process? 
    • Always required to be displayed alongside documentation of process - such as video.
    • More info: See my blog about Rosemarie Fiore 
  7. Pinball
    • I'm interested in these types of processes when creating my own work
    • My project is based around the medium of Pinball.
    • This is an example of a vintage Pinball Machine from 1976 (which has been modified)
    • Artwork originally by Gordon Morison who created the art for over 150+ machines) during the 70s-80s
    • Pinball is a combination of art , music, sound immersing players in a story. It's a piece of artwork. 
    • Retro - popular culture.
    • My interests is as an example of printmaking - the backglass, playfield and plastic parts
    • Also electronics + programming - to create interactivity between user (player/viewer) and the artwork (pinball)
  8. Research
    • Finding machines  to play - no longer arcades, so turned to the internet
    • Found a community and league 
    • Have now played over 50 Machines. 280th in the UK & 9042nd in world Pinball Rankings.
    • Understand different types + functions of Pinball machines. 
    • More on Resarch Play
  9. Work Experience with MyPinballs
  10. Pinbox
    • My original aim was to build my own pinball machine. It is quite ambitious.
    • Start with a smaller, toy like, game.
    • Prototyping
    • More on Pinbox project
  11. Pinbox 2
  12. Influence: Roxy Paine / Intrusion / 2014 
    • The moment I saw this work by Roxy Paine I had this moment of clarity.
    • Set in stone idea of making pinball game. 
    • I can be more playful with the IDEA of pinball rather than recreating a familiar game
    • Paine's work here is a familiar shape but pinball parts replaced by extrusion of a rock face 
    • The pinball machine is carved from wood between organic and man-made environments and the processing of machines.
  13. Influence: Ryan Gander / “Self Portrait X” / 2012 
    • Another example of the process I'm interested in by British artist Ryan Gander.
    • Portraits from memory. But not the actual paintings, the paintings weredestroyed. 
    • What we see here are the pallets used to mix the paints
    • Imagine the size from amount of paint and moods from the colours
    • An idea of what painting could be if tradition is taken away
  14. Sketches
    •  Small scale test pieces when building a game.
    • I almost discarded these but upon reviewing my work from the past few months these were most fun to build.
  15. Sketches 2
    • Thinking differently about my approach - work as an artist rather than a designer (creating and end product)
    • Perhaps these are framed parts, taken out of context of the machine 
  16. Ball loops
    • Visualising other experiment sketches - artists impressions if you will.
    • The idea of a never ending loop of balls.
  17. Pin a china shop
    • Based on places we are not allowed to play, why not? Lets break the rules
    • The china must be smashed
  18. Zorbinball
    • It may be that the idea goes no further than this stage, but if I can communicate it effectively and properly document it, who knows I may come back to it further down the line.


No comments:

Post a Comment